A few months ago I was watching a 20/20 (or Dateline) special and they were talking about how bad nail salons were. It totally grossed me out. As if I wasn’t already freaked out, they interviewed a lady that had to some of her leg removed because of an infection at a nail salon. Yeah, it feels good to have your feet rubbed but it’s not worth me losing a leg. With the proper tools, you can achieve summer ready feet.
The key is making sure you have all your pedi tools together.
1. I start off by using my Clarisonic PediCare device with the smoothing disc with my feet dry. Works almost like a sanding tool on my feet.
2. I cut, file and buff my toe nails.
3. I add cuticle softener to the areas around my toe nails before soaking them in water with foot soak.
4. Depending on how ruff my dogs are, I will use a pumice stone to buff my heals.
5. After soaking, I use the Clarisonic PediCare device with the wet and dry buff with the Pedi buff.
6. I take my feet out of the water and proceed to push my cuticles back. I use the Tweezerman Ultra Precision cuticle nipper to remove access cuticles, which I have a lot of.
7. I use the Clarisonic PediCare balm to moisturize my feet.
8. I clean my toe nails with alcohol on a cotton ball to prep my nails for polish.
9. I always use a base coat before I polish. If you don’t your toe nails we become yellow.
10. Time to polish! Practice makes perfect! Best tip I can give you is not to go over the same spot twice. Just apply the color again on 2nd coat. Works for me.
I try to make time for a home pedi once a week. Depending on how my polish holds up, I can skip the painting and run out the door. The Clarisonic PediCare device can be used daily in the shower.
Don’t get me wrong ladies. I’m not saying all nail salons are gross. Some are really clean and will take care of you. I have been to a few that I had to question whether they cleaned out the pedi bowl or not. How do you take care of your feet in the summer?
CurvieBirdieJune 3, 2014 at 6:33 pm
I get pedi’s all the time. I have tried to do it myself but i am the worset at painting nails!
Rose's DaughterJune 3, 2014 at 10:54 pm
i am so bad at painting my own toe nails! I recently found a new salon that actually uses a plastic bag in the pedi bowl and changes it for each customer!
Aracely @ Mama Fashion FilesJune 4, 2014 at 2:24 pm
I actually saw that special as well and was totally grossed out! I do visit a nail salon once very 2-3 weeks to get a pedicure but only because I’ve been going there for over 5 years and they do a good job of sanitizing all of their tools/devices. I used to do my own manis and pedis but after having Madison I got lazy, I should probably revisit doing them myself again and save a few dollars.
StushiGal StyleJune 5, 2014 at 1:27 am
I love going to the salon, but I agree, sometimes I just don’t know what’s going on in there! I love the idea of giving myself a pedicure though! I need to pamper myself lol!